Tuesday, 6 January 2009

In kenya!!

Well hello my lovelys!
I have arrived, infact, this be my second day in school. We have just managed to find someone who told us our log on to the computers, so sorry for not getting on here sooner.

Its so amazing to be back here- the sun is out and beating down, so i will be coming home very brown!! My flight was all good. I hate flying normally, but i felt fine. There was a total of 40 of us on the flight, so i had my 3 seats to myself to lie down. I spent most the time sleeping, which meant the time went fast. Kenyan James was at the airport to pick me up, so all that went very smoothly. He took me to the dep head (joanne's) house to sleep that night. I was fairly shocked at her house- it was huuge! I dont think i have ever slept in a 4 post bed that big before, and i was not expecting my 1st experience of it to be in Africa! She and her family were very welcoming, so it was very relaxed. She grew up in kenya and went through Braeburn (the school) herself. The next morning i was taken to my flat, which is just opposite from the school. Its really quite big, with a kitchen area, living room, bathroom and bedroom. I made myself at home straight away by sticking all my photo's up. I will be chucking some photos up here soon so you can see. I even have a little balcony from my room, but typically the door is jammed. I went out to buy some tape yest after school meetings at the local shop (nakumat) to tape up the whole in my balcony door. Its about a 20-30 minute walk each way, so me and Donald (another gappy from new z) walked it together. I had a bucket shower this morning, as my water was freezing cold! I used the kettle to get some warm water, and only after i had managed the art of bucket hair washing, did i see the switch clearly labled 'water heater'. d'oh!!

Yest eve Donold and I stayed in the bar to get some food (which we get given) and the PE teachers bought us a drink...or two...! They drink LOADS, and only stopped when i told the barman to take back the 3rd bottle of Tuska that they ordered me (donold had the my 2nd!)

All the teachers are lovely, although its a bit of a challenge trying to remember all their names! There is about 50/50 of white/african teachers. I have mostly PE/Games/Swimming and English lessons, which is cool. The 2 Pe lessons i had this morning were cool- year 4 and then yr 8 hockey. They get taught so much more here than in the UK where proper hockey lessons would start in year 7!

It is so familiar being here...the smells bring back a lot of memories of old houses and old school. It was very weird meeting my old teachers Mr Webber and Mr Mmbigori (sp?) although very cool. I havent been bitten once yet by a mossie, which is amazing, although i squished some against the walls! haha. Doom is a good thing to have in the flat! The school is pretty impressive, really nice buildings and a couple of pools (much bigger than Hillcrest). Sorry for lack of photoage right now, but i left my camera in the flat. Im not sure how well these comps are going to deal with the large pics...we shall see.

Facebook is blocked here throughout the day, so i cant get on there at the mo.
Sorry this has been a bit all over the place...so much going through my head that i wanted to tell you all! I just LOVE it...being back is so incredible. eeeee!!

I shall leave it there for now. Hope you are all doing ok back in the cold and snow(aaahahah!)
Love you all :o)
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Cheeky girl... snow is COLLLLD!! Not sure why one would be pleased to have 'doom' anywhere in their life though... please elaborate!! So glad that all is going well. Praying for you girly! Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to get your update Ruth. You really sound like you have landed on your feet. Just love the image of a four-poster bed in Kenya- the land of contrasts!! Was that just to hang the mossi net over? Do you have a mossi net in your room? (For Sharon's info- Doom is the spray that kills the mossies very effectively!) I'm not surprised by your enjoyment of sunshine.....its Brrrr here! just looks quite pretty with snow glistening in the sunshine.
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures once they allow you Facebook access. God Bless Love & prayers. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthy-Bu...It was quiet without you today! I was sat on our sofa like a proper loner :/
    Its good to hear that you're an awesome time already although slightly jealous of the heat! (Grrrr!!) The girls asked me to print off how you're getting on and what not so this will be stuck up in the blue room tomorrow :D
    I will be looking forward to seeing pictures :)
    Speak soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiiiiitteeee.....Dammmmmmnnnnn girl!

    Sounds awesome sis!! Have a wicked time and dont forget to bring me back something nice,
    I'd also really appreciate some good ole yomachoma! Lush!

    Anyway, Better get on with the revision (pah!) much love deary!


    "Cant catch me bluuuuuud, Cant catch me bluuuuuudd!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. RUTH!!! you're THERE?! it's crazy - reading this literally brought little tears to my eyes...the hair washing, the jammed door, the smell..the familiarity. i can just IMAGINE how you must be feeling..back to your roots.

    i'm so chuffed for you and SO excited to be able to follow through whats going on.
    heaps of love and look forward to hearing about your adventures!!!
    wow
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwwwww love hearing about it!

    whats donald like?! its coo you have some one in a similar boat to you.

    it sounds amazing and knowing your out there makes we want to join! x

    ReplyDelete